Sunday, January 13, 2008

That's Amore'

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists. When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.
Edmond and Jules de Goncourt

I love this quote, even if it does come from brothers famous in the French literary world. They almost got it right. Except true love is not so much a case of being one of two halves, or half of the whole.

Rather, in True Love, one goes "all in." You put all yourself into it, and how blessed you are if your lover does the same. We must not fall for the old bromide, "Marriage is a 50-50 proposition." No, indeed -- love, and marriage, is a 100-100 proposition. Both must put in 100%, all they have, and all they are.


True Love is not like a pie that can be halved. It's more chemistry than geometry -- a delicious potion, both intoxicating and nourishing, made of all I am and all she is, and once we have been poured together into the same life, the same existence, there is a new chemistry that cannot be undone, the parts cannot be unmixed, we two have become one.

How blessed I am to be married to, and live with, my True Love. May you be so blessed, too!

1 comment:

YoMJ said...

True Love, ah, to be so lucky. I am. XOXOXO

YOAO